NIHL, Asbestosis and HAVS (VWF)
Mesothelioma - Asbestosis - NIHL - HAVS - Expert Witness
Ken Taylor originally served an indentured apprenticeship before training as an Engineer with a local authority and studying in Manchester. He then founded a Consulting Engineering practice in 1968 which expanded to offices in Manchester, Liverpool and Burnley with 45 Engineers. He has accepted instructions as an expert witness since 1975. In 1985 he took up an appointment as Chief Engineer with a large Metropolitan Borough Council.
He founded the present practice of Taylor Associates Ltd in 1986 and then returned to private practice, again offering expert witness assistance in personal injury cases.
Ken specialises in advising solicitors and providing reports for litigation, with respect to personal injury. The majority of cases handled are those relating to the three industrial diseases caused by asbestos exposure, hand arm vibration and noise.
Listed in Debretts 'People of Today ' and the USA 'Marquis Who's Who'.
Silver Medal awarded by the Institution of Hospital Engineers and Estate Management for best published paper on liability.
Bronze medal awarded by the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers for services to the Institution.
Freeman of the City of London.
Past Chairman of North West Region CIBSE and also the Preston Centre.
Registered with the Academy of Experts and the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.
Magistrate from 1983 to 2011 having sat as chairman in Youth, Adult, Domestic Violence and Family Courts.
Ken is a European Engineer (Eur Ing) and Chartered Engineer (C.Eng) and also holds senior qualifications in the United States of America as well as in the UK. Membership of professional bodies includes:-
F.C.I.B.S.E., F.S.O.E., F.I.Plant E, F.C.I.P.H.E., R.P., F.C.M.I., F.R.S.A., M.A.S.H.R.A.E. (USA), M.A.E.
Authorship of published papers and text books
Author of many published papers and the text book 'A Practical Guide for the Expert Witness' (ISBN 0-9538942-0-7) and co-author of the 'Plant Engineers' Reference book' and its USA publication 'The Plant Engineers' Handbook'.
Reviewed textbook on tenders and contracts for Butterworth Heinemann
Author of published papers:-
- 1988 'The Engineer and Liability' in I Plant E Journal,
- 1989 'Negligence and the Engineer' in the Society of Engineers' Journal,
- 1989 Series of five papers on Liability in the CIBSE Journal,
- 1989 'The Plumbing Consultant and Liability' in the CIPHE Journal
- 1991 Series of three papers on professional indemnity insurance in the CIBSE Journal,
- 1992 'Liability of Hospital Engineers' in the Estate Managers' Journal,
- 1994 'Too Hot to Handle' a review of Ryan -v- Camden Borough Council - burning and scalding to children in CIBSE Journal,
- 1995 A review of the 'Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994 in the CIBSE Journal,
- 1997 'Personal Injury at Work Due to Airborne Substances' in the I Plant E Journal,
- 1997 'Upper Limb Disorders Caused Through Work' in the I Plant E Journal,
- 1998 'Back Injuries at Work Involving Plant' in the CIBSE Journal,
- 1998 'Coefficients of Friction and Slipping' in the I Plant E Journal,
- 1999 A review of 'The Civil Procedure Rules 1998' in the CIBSE Journal,
- 1999 'New Rules for Engineer Who Act as Expert Witnesses' in the I Plant E Journal,
- 1999 'Vibration White Finger' in the I Plant E Journal,
- 2000 'Risk Taking for the Plant Engineer' (risk assessments) in the I Plant E Journal,
- 2000 A review of the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 in the IOSH Journal,
- 2002 'The History of Asbestos' in the CIPHE Journal.
Expert Witness Professional Organisations